After Christmas in New Orleans
When Christmas is over, most people are left feeling sad, down and depressed. But in New Orleans, the end of Christmas means the beginning of CARNIVAL SEASON!
I am not a huge fan of parading as an adult with kids in tow, but I sure do love decorating my home with Mardi Gras decor, eating king cake and second – lining in my house with my kids.
Here are some of my favorite items to decorate my house with:
- Mardi Gras beads all over the trees and bushes. No need to place them perfectly. In true Mardi Gras fashion, throw ’em. Every year my kids have a “parade” in our front yard where my son pulls my daughter in a wagon and they throw beads at us and all over the front yard bushes and plants. It really is a fun tradition. We also do it at my parent’s house too to help them decorate.
- Mardi Gras wreaths on the front door. I buy them usually, but I have also made some like these.
- Purple, Green and Gold Christmas lights mixed with white lights from Christmas, too.
- Mardi Gras bunting for the front porch and the stair railing inside.
- Mardi Gras nutcrackers for the front porch. I love my Christmas nutcrackers, so I was so excited when I found these Mardi Gras nutcrackers at BB&B.
- Who said inflatables were just for Christmas? Mardi Gras inflatables are always a fun addition to your yard.
- Mardi Gras masks of all shapes and sizes can be command stripped to any window, column, door etc.
- Mardi Gras garden flags and large Carnival flags. Most of the Krewes sell these on their websites for their members. Or you can check here after Mardi Gras for recycled items leftover from the parades.
Also, I thought this would be a good time to share my favorite King Cakes by far (I have 38 years of experience eating King Cakes, so you can trust me):
- Antoine’s Bakery – Metairie
- Manny Randazzo’s King Cakes – Metairie
- Zuppardo’s Grocery Store – Metairie
- Gambino’s Bakery – Metairie
- Joe’s Cafe – Metairie and Westbank
- Hi – Do Bakery – Westbank
So, if you are feeling blue about taking down your Christmas and holiday decor, go buy yourself a king cake, some carnival decorations, and have your very own second line to kick off the next best holiday, only in NOLA!