One of the most common myths about self care is that it is expensive.
What if I told you that I had 10 ideas for self care that you could do right here in New Orleans for free?
Well, I do!
- Sign up for an introductory fitness class. There are several gyms in the city that offer “First Class Free” deals. I’ve signed up for Barre, Boxing, Pilates and Yoga classes! These are great ways to treat yourself and not to mention a great stress reliever!
- Visit a museum. The New Orleans Museum of Art offers free admission on Wednesdays for Louisiana residents, and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art offers free admission on Thursdays. The Besthoff Sculpture Garden is always free.
- Visit an Art Gallery on the First Saturday of the Month in the Arts District. This is always a fun experience and a chance to meet other art enthusiasts.
- Listen to live music at Wednesdays at the Square starting March 20th! This is such a great way to unwind in the middle of the week especially when the weather is gorgeous. Check out other spots for live music such as Frenchmen Street, The Davenport Lounge, the Polo Club in Windsor Court and the Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone.
- Go for a walk on the trail at Audubon Park or the Big Lake at City Park. Taking a long walk is self care in itself and admiring the beautiful oak trees and the lake is an added bonus.
- Free wine tastings on Wednesdays at Faubourg Wines. Wine not? Check out other wine tastings in the city.
- Visit the Crescent City Farmer’s Market or French Market. Meet local farmers and artists.
- Join the Adult Book Club at the New Orleans Public Library. Here’s your chance to discuss that new book you just couldn’t put down.
- Sign up for a dance class at NORD. Learn some new moves at a salsa class!
- Attend one of the many festivals!
Yes, I know that none of these 10 included spas or massages and that’s because the second most common myth is that self care has to involve pampering. My definition of self care is “doing whatever you need to do to give yourself a much needed break!” The purpose of this list is to remind you that self care doesn’t have to be complicated and there are also no rules to determine what self care is or isn’t.
I hope that you find something on this list and treat yourself this week. I look forward to sharing more self care tips with you. Let me know what you think!