Throw Me Something Mista! :: 2022 Guide to the Best Throws from Mardi Gras Krewes
Growing up in Nebraska, every spring my grandparents would send me a box of all their best throws from parades in New Orleans. I would gush over them & dance around pretending like I was in the parade, not knowing at 8 years old that I would end up living in New Orleans.
The mystique of catching “the good stuff” has never left me, and it is still one of my favorite parts of Mardi Gras! I ride every year in the Krewe of Cleopatra and take just as much time choosing what to throw. I take weeks to design our signature glitter cups (one ended up on the news one year and I was SO excited!) On the route, I always scan the crowd for parade-goers that are looking for special throws (signs work y’all!); making someone’s day is one of the best parts of riding.
Whether you collect them, reuse them, let your kids destroy your house with them, or stash them all in your attic until you die – I think we can all agree everyone loves a good throw! I wanted to find all the new and unique throws that we can expect this year, so without further ado, I present your ultimate guide to all the best throws I could find for 2022. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
Jump to the date of the parade by clicking on the date of the parade below.
Sunday, January 30th | Saturday, February 5th | Friday, February 11th | Saturday, February 12th | Sunday, February 13th | Friday, February 18th | Saturday, February 19th | Sunday, February 20th | Wednesday, February 23rd | Thursday, February 24th | Friday, February 25th | Saturday, February 26th | Sunday, February 27th | Monday, February 28th | Tuesday, March 1st
Sunday | January 30, 2022 | New Orleans East
- Krewe of Nefertiti 12:00 pm – With 14 floats & 200 riders, be sure to check out their signature jeweled items that change each year.
Saturday | February 5, 2022 | Marigny
- Krewe of Chewbacchus 7:00 pm – This amazing sci-fi-themed krewe makes all of its own throws, including custom bead medallions! Catch one of these or any one of their stuffed animals, bandoliers, bean bags, or frisbees.
Friday | February 11, 2022 | French Quarter
- Krewe Bohème 7:00 pm – A sight to be seen! This krewe is made up of 18 sub krewes many featuring their own signature throws. These are all so unique & just a sample of what you could catch if you’re lucky:
- Krewe of Goddesses – Will be handing out their beautiful signature hand-painted oyster shells to paradegoers.
- Skinz n Bonez – This krewe of skeletons will be handing out dolls & their signature trading cards.
- Krewe of Dystopian Paradise – A scroll through their Instagram shows a slew of awesome throws they will hand out from homemade bracelets, messages in a bottle, resin widgets, flying unicorns, and decorated stuffed animals.
- The Bayou Babes – Go check out their Facebook to see some of the custom throws they are currently making: glittered bugs, flowers, and other creatures. They’ve been known to hand out everything from crawfish to pirogue paddles.
Saturday | February 12, 2022 | French Quarter
- Krewe du Vieux 6:30 pm – Known for its adult-themed, satirical, political, and hilariously raunchy throws. You literally never know what you are going to catch at this one-of-a-kind R-rated parade. You probably want to leave the kiddos at home for this one unless you want to be having some interesting conversations!
- Krewedelusion follows – This newer satirical krewe made up of multiple inner-krewes is true to its name! The theme is a secret every year except to their captains. They pride themselves on “using innovative approaches to creating low-impact, environmentally-friendly throws in our “fuel-free, mule-free” parade according to their website. Love that!
Saturday | February 12, 2022 | Slidell
- Krewe of Bilge 12:00 pm – this 40-year-old krewe decorates their boats for parading around Eden Isles throwing cups, beads, and other themed trinkets to shoreline revelers.
- Krewe of Poseidon 6:00 pm – this 25 float parade prides itself on throwing keepsake throws like tridents, medallion beads, footballs, doubloons, and cups. If you love catching light-up items, this is a parade you will not want to miss!
Sunday | February 13, 2022 | Metairie
- Krewe of Little Rascals Cancelled – Even though our favorite long-running children’s parade is not rolling this year, I wanted to mention them anyway because they will be back! They are known for a number of collector’s items throws including anodized doubloons, trading cards, posters, and other specialized throws. Can’t wait to catch them again in 2023!
Sunday | February 13, 2022 | Pearl River
- Krewe of Pearl River Lions Club 1:00 pm – This 15 float krewe that is chock full of marching bands, dance teams, clubs, cheerleaders, churches, and community families will be tossing out all your favorite classic throws like beads, cups, flowers, etc.
Friday | February 18, 2022 | French Quarter
- Krewe of Cork 3:00 pm – A wine-related walking parade (say no more!) that celebrates food, fun, and wine by handing out their signature grape-themed throws along their route and hand-decorated corks.
Friday | February 18, 2022 | Metairie
- Krewe of Excalibur 6:30 pm – A 20 float parade led by fully suited knights boasts signature hand-decorated wooden shields along with other krewe themed items as well.
- Krewe of Symphony follows – This all-male krewe that focuses on celebrating the music, arts, culture, and uniqueness of New Orleans is sure to have some great themed throws this year.
Friday | February 18, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Oshun 6:00 pm – Peacocks are the theme for this 18 float parade! Besides their handmade signature fans, catch peacock figures and mugs amongst tons of other traditional throws.
- Krewe of Cleopatra 6:00 pm – The first super krewe to take the avenue during Mardi Gras, this all-women parade is known for throwing their signature glittered cups. With their theme “Cleopatra’s Greatest Hits” this year, expect some amazing music-themed creations to be handed out. Expect TONS of light-up items and collector items such as Cleo-themed medallion beads, pop sockets, bottle openers, slap bracelets, microphones, etc. The masked ladies will also be throwing numbered balloons that you can win prizes from by checking cleoprize.com. You will have the chance to win (2) 55″ 4k TVs, 10 children’s bikes, 20 children’s scooters, and 300 Cleopatra t-shirts. Look, I know I may be partial, but that is the coolest thing I have ever heard of. Find this New Orleans Mom, float 6, 4th on the driver’s side – I’d love to give you something special!
- Krewe of Alla follows – One of the oldest krewes that were founded in Algiers, Alla is known for always having amazing finds! Beyond their signature hand-decorated genie lamps, they will be showering parade-goers with generous throws including an array of light-up items.
Friday | February 18, 2022 | Mandeville
- Krewe of Eve 7:00 pm – Ride out to the Northshore to catch all the light-up items that your heart desires! This all-female krewe has tons of collector throws from doubloons, fedoras, led footballs, fairy wings, head boppers, flower crowns, etc. This parade should not disappoint when it comes to good finds.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Metairie
- Magical Krewe of Mad Hatters 5:00 pm – This Alice in Wonderland themed parade throws their signature custom hats amongst other items in between 26 spectacular floats and unique marching groups.
- Krewe of Centurions 6:30 pm – This 20 float, co-ed krewe with their family-friendly themes are best known for throwing hand-decorated swords to lucky recipients amongst traditional and light-up throws.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Pontchartrain 1:00 pm – The 20 floats carrying 400+ members will be throwing off lots of cool signature throws this year including crawfish trays, plush items, fedoras, dog leashes, doubloons, basketballs, and the famous “grouper” items.
- Krewe of Choctaw follows – Known for their hand-decorated tomahawks, Choctaw is a family-friendly krewe known for throwing lots of plush along with beads and all the classic trinkets.
- Krewe of Freret follows – Don’t miss out on catching one of their beautifully decorated masks that they are known for throwing. This krewe also prides itself on using locally produced throws as well.
- Knights of Sparta 5:30 pm – This all-male krewe throws collector medallion beads, doubloons, Spartan helmets, and other mystery throws that are new each year from 17 floats as they roll uptown.
- Krewe of Pygmalion follows – Catch super cute hand-decorated piggies at this 25 float parade to close out the first Saturday of Mardi Gras!
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Slidell
- Krewe de Paws of Olde Towne 10:00 am – Full disclosure: I am not sure what special throws you may find, but bring your pup out to this parade and catch a load of cuteness! This all-dog parade is sure to entertain no matter what you go home with.
- Krewe of Titans 6:30 pm – Expect tons of customized logo throws like medallion beads, footballs, t-shirts, lighted tambourines, foam batons, and necklaces.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Madisonville
- Krewe of Tchefuncte 1:00 pm – This boat parade has a theme of “Disney Enchantment” this year, so it is sure to be stock full of fun throws for the kids. Stand on the shore & watch this unique parade go down the Tchefuncte River.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Covington
- Krewe of Olympia 6:00 pm – With 300+ riders amongst 21 floats, this all-male parade is sure to be throwing out all the best traditional throws mixed with custom logo items as well.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Chalmette
- Knights of Nemesis 1:00 pm – This all-male krewe in the parish will be throwing swords, spears, Chee-weez, footballs, medallion beads, and cups along with beads and plush throws.
Saturday | February 19, 2022 | Abita Springs
- Krewe of Push Mow 12:00 pm – Again, I have no clue what you are catching at this parade, BUT it is a parade of decorated push lawnmowers. I feel like this is definitely a bucket list parade I want to go to at least once!
Sunday | February 20, 2022 | French Quarter
- Krewe of Barkus 2:00 pm – This all-dog parade through the French Quarter will provide you with an awesome experience if nothing else! With their pup loving themes and amazing costumes, catch the cuteness with this krewe.
Sunday | February 20, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- The Mystic Krewe of Femme Fatale 11:00 am – This all-female krewe throws their signature bedazzled women’s compacts, symbolizing a constant inward and outward reflection. Known for their dance teams and with 20 floats, this parade is sure to deliver the throws.
- Krewe of Carrollton follows – the 4th oldest krewe there is, they are always known for a good time! They throw their signature decorated shrimp boots, doubloons, specialty beads, and cups. This is one that I have always caught a lot at!
- Krewe of King Arthur follows – with over 1750 riders and 50+ floats, King Arthur is the largest parade on the first weekend of Mardi Gras. Besides handing out their signature hand-decorated grails, expect to be showered in tons of other custom throws.
Wednesday | February 23, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Druids 6:15 pm – With their hidden identities and float-only parade, you are sure to find medallion beads, pearl beads, doubloons, and cups.
- Krewe of Nyx 6:45 pm – This hot pink & black costumed all-women krewe is known for handing out their beloved glittered purses! Every girl can remember when they caught their first one. Get there early for the best spots & get ready to come home with lots of amazing throws.
Thursday | February 24, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Knights of Babylon 5:30 pm – Over 300 knights and 27 floats will be throwing their signature LED jesters on a stick to kick off Mardi Gras weekend.
- Knights of Chaos follows – This satirical parade with 16 floats is sure to deliver a good time & lots of traditional Mardi Gras throws.
- Krewe of Muses follows – This all-female krewe dazzles parade-goers every year with their glittery hand-painted shoes. My daughter still has the first shoe that she ever caught – a true New Orleans tradition. Expect to also receive logo items with custom artwork done by members of the community that are sure to be collector’s items. A do not miss if you are looking for one of the top items to come home with!
Friday | February 25, 2022 | French Quarter
- Krewe of Bosom Buddies 11:30 am – Catch this walking krewe to catch a hand-painted bra from one of their lovely ladies.
Friday | February 25, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Hermes 5:30 pm – This all-male krewe with over 700 members hand out logo throws along with all the classics that you are looking for.
- Krewe d’Etat 6:30 pm – While they keep the theme of this parade a secret every year, their walking skeletons will be handing out wooden doubloons and papers letting you know all the special things you can catch this year. Be sure to snag one of their signature blinking LED skulls!
- Krewe of Morpheus 7:00 pm – This 800+ person krewe will be tossing out all their signature throws including LED beads, LED sleepy time hats, 3D cups, and plush sheep, moons, pillows, and bears. The most collected throw, their hand-decorated sleep masks are definitely something to look for! Known for being generous, Morpheus is one to not miss.
Friday | February 25, 2022 |Slidell
- Krewe of Selene 6:30 pm – This all-female krewe throws beautiful hand-decorated purses, light-up items, and lots of specialty beads from their 17 floats through the streets of Slidell.
Saturday | February 26, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Iris 11:00 am – The ladies of Iris are known for their fun & unique throws, like hand-decorated sunglasses and king cake babies. The krewe also throws an array of beads, cups, doubloons, and Iris-themed items.
- Krewe of Tucks 12:00 pm – This large parade with over 1800 members & 36 super-sized floats, is known to put on a party. Throwing their signature hand-decorated toilet brush wands & plungers into the crowd, this is a fun parade with great catches to bring home!
Saturday | February 26, 2022 | Westbank
- Krewe of NOMTOC 10:45 am – One of the last parades to roll on the Westbank, this krewe is known for throwing their custom medallion beads, jug banks, and their signature Jug man dolls as they cruise the streets of Algiers.
Saturday | February 26, 2022 | Mid-City
- Krewe of Endymion 4:15 pm – The all-male super krewe will be back this year throwing all their best LED, plush, and custom items. It is said that Endymion showers parade-goers with over 15 million throws between Mid-City and the Superdome. Get there early, bring lots of bags with you, and be ready to catch more than you have ever caught before!
Saturday | February 26, 2022 | Kenner
- Krewe of Isis 6:00 pm – Catch this all-female krewe in Kenner and be sure to try to snag one of their hand-decorated bras amongst other great throws.
Sunday | February 27, 2022 | Metairie
- Krewe of Athena 5:30 pm – These ladies are known for tossing the most fabulously decorated fedoras and other custom items from their 20+ floats.
Sunday | February 27, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Okeanos 11:00 am – This krewe will be throwing custom medallion beads, bottle openers, plush hearts, beach buckets, doubloons, crawfish trays, frisbees, and other collectible items based on their theme for 2022 “Love Stories.”
- Krewe of Mid-City 11:45 am – Known for the family-friendly themes and geared towards children, you are sure to catch all the best plush and coveted kids items at this parade.
- Krewe of Thoth 12:00 pm – This krewe of 1900+ members throw things like 3d die-cut metallic necklaces, stuffed polar bears, and tons of specialized balloons from their 37 floats as they parade.
- Krewe of Bacchus 5:15 pm – One of the largest parades in the city, this super krewe showers the crowd with various custom items every year including medallion beads, led items, doubloons, etc. Bring your bags & get a good spot, Bacchus is a don’t miss if you are looking for awesome throws.
Monday | February 28, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Proteus 5:15 pm – This Lundi Gras krewe has thrown out custom doubloons, plastic tridents, and beautiful long beads in the past from their 20 floats.
- Krewe of Orpheus 6:00 pm – Always throwing collectible items, Orpheus is known for throwing many different doubloons & medallion beads. This year they announced that their signature throw is going to be tambourines. This is a don’t miss super krewe that you will be sure to walk away happy from!
Tuesday | March 1, 2022 | Metairie
- Krewe of Argus 10:00 am – This family fun parade is known for specialty floats & custom throws. Load up on beads, plush, cups, flowers, and batons!
- Krewe of Elks Jefferson follows – With over 50 truck floats and 2000 riders, make sure you bring bags for all the goodies you will catch.
- Krewe of Jefferson follows – 3500 riders will be showering Metairie with throws from over 75 truck floats. Look for doubloons, cups, plush, and lots of beads!
Tuesday | March 1, 2022 | Uptown New Orleans
- Krewe of Zulu 8:00 am – Hand-painted coconuts – need I say more? One of the most coveted catches of Mardi Gras, consider yourself lucky if you go home with one!
- Krewe of Rex 10:00 am – The King of Mardi Gras throws various custom collector’s items each year including medallion beads, doubloons, cups, plush.
- Krewe of Elks Orleans follows – The largest truck float parade, you are sure to rack up on items from their 4500 members spanning over 120 decorated trucks.
- Krewe of Crescent City follows – The final parade of the day, 65 truck floats are sure to end Mardi Gras on a high note with all the traditional throws.