Do you love to travel with your kids? So do we! We have oodles of family travel tips on New Orleans Mom. Whether your family is desperate for a short weekend getaway within Louisiana, a great place to camp with kids near New Orleans or a full-fledged road trip from New Orleans … we have you covered!
The Best Gulf Coast Family Friendly Hotels to Checkout This Summer
If you are anything like me, you are dreaming about the warm weather and having your toes in the sand! We are avid beachgoers, I try to go a few times each summer. While I love to rent a condo and have the conveniences of home, I am a huge fan of staying at hotels. While you may not have as much space, you will have something worth its weight in gold – relaxation. When you’re at a hotel there is no laundry to do, no groceries to buy, and no meals to cook. For me, it becomes more of a relaxing trip when those responsibilities are taken away just for a few days. There are lots of hotels that are also chock full of amenities for kids and parents alike. So from Mississippi to Florida, this is a list of our favorite family-friendly hotels and resorts along the Gulf Coast.
- Best Western Seaway Inn | Gulfport – this hotel is my not-so-secret hidden gem. If you have read my previous article, Ship Island: The Gulfport Gem Perfect For a Day Trip, then you may have heard me talk about this one before. This hotel is perfect for a budget stay if you plan on being in the Gulfport area to enjoy things like Ship Island or the Gulf Islands Waterpark since it is within 15 minutes of both. The rooms are always super clean, the free breakfast is delicious, and they have a large pool in their courtyard that is perfect for the kids to hop into at the end of the day.
- The Oasis | Gulfport – For a little more bang for your buck, The Oasis is a beautiful beachfront hotel located in Centennial Plaza along with the Grand Centennial hotel. With a private 3-acre water park on the property for their guests, this resort should be on your list. Equipped with a zero-gravity pool, a lazy river, water slides, and a splash pad. There is a swim-up bar for the parents (cashless which is so convenient!) and towels are provided at the entrance. Complete with spacious, clean rooms and several dining options, you can stay for the weekend and never have to leave.
- Margaritaville Resort | Biloxi – With the opening of the brand new Paradise Pier Family Fun Park, Margaritaville is an obvious choice if you are looking to have non-stop entertainment for everyone in the family. With its tropical decor, a giant arcade, and an amazing swim area – the hotel alone is enough to keep the kids happy. Now add on the 180-foot “The Biloxi Tide Turner” observation wheel along with the other 20+ rides and attractions of Paradise Pier next door – you have got a whole weekend of things to do. Hotel guests receive free entrance to the deck, but you will need to check the pricing on full-access tickets for the date you will be there.
- Springhill Suites By Marriott at The Wharf | Orange Beach – Lots of families love spending time at the Wharf, and if you are headed to the beach for a concert there, this is the perfect place to stay! These suites offer more room that an average hotel room, often with more kitchen-like amenities which is always convenient with kids. They have an awesome pool area (with complimentary towels – my fav!) and a free breakfast buffet every morning. Only 11 minutes from Cotton Bayou Public Beach, this is a definite winner in budget, convenience, and amenities for families!
- Townplace Suites at OWA | Foley – I wrote about this hotel in depth previously, OWA:: An Amazing Indoor Waterpark 3 Hours Away, but had to give it another mention if we are talking best hotels for families! If you plan to enjoy OWA and all it has to offer, this is the perfect value option. You are about 15 minutes from the beach, but still so close to Gulf Shores.
- Perdido Beach Resort | Orange Beach – This resort is absolutely beautiful! We ended up staying here on a whim when we extended a beach trip once and immediately fell in love with it. It was renovated in 2020 after suffering major damage in Hurricane Sally. They redid the entire resort and every inch of it is immaculate! It is located right by the pass so the views are amazing. They have 5 restaurants, 3 bars, and a great indoor/outdoor pool area with hot tubs. They often offer live music, have events for the kids, and even have an aquatic adventure booking service on-site if you want to get out and explore. You will find their signature scent “Inis of The Seas” in my house regularly!
- Holiday Inn Resort | Pensacola Beach – This hotel is chock full of amenities for the whole family. It has a sprawling pool area; including a lazy river, waterfalls, an indoor heated pool, and hot tubs. You can relax and watch the kids play while you order food & drinks from one of the poolside servers. There are typically activities and shows for the kids in the afternoon at the pool and they offer fire pits and lounge areas as well. The beach is a short walk and they have a wheelchair-accessible ramp all the way down which is amazing. They just completed a major renovation, so everything should be brand new. Since it is within walking distance to a ton of Pensacola attractions, this one definitely makes the list for convenience & fun.
- The Island Resort | Fort Walton – Okay, I am going to try to not be biased – but this one is my absolute favorite! We stay here at least once a summer, and my entire family enjoys it every time. There is a wide variety of rooms to choose from that can fit every budget, but if you really want to splurge the beachfront patio access is the way to go. Those rooms open right up to a turfed area that has games and sitting areas. Directly behind that they have a beach bar that plays music nightly on the water. We loved walking back from the beach and pulling our wagon directly on the porch. The kids loved making friends and hanging out in that area. The resort has two large pools, and they both have activities for the family scheduled day and night. From mermaids & pirates to movie night to games – there is always something to do. The main pool area is equipped with a giant rock waterfall, complete with a bar underneath it (with nonalcoholic drinks for the kids too!) There are multiple places to eat around the resort, and we have never been disappointed with anything there. You are within walking distance of the pier for fishing, dining, and entertainment as well. 5/5 stars when it comes to hotels!
- Hilton Sandestin Beach & Gulf Resort | Miramar Beach – This resort is not only beautiful but comes with some amazing amenities. There is a wide variety of rooms to choose from based on what you need, but check out the rooms with bunk beds! Suites are also available for larger families or if you are looking for a kitchenette. Kids 12 and under eat breakfast free here which is a great perk and there are multiple restaurants to choose from on the property. They offer a wide array of recreation, from golf and yoga to daily activities by the pool and beach. The beach is absolutely stunning in this area, so it will be hard to leave your loungers!
- Holiday Inn Resort | Panama City Beach – This place is a kids’ paradise! With a large pool area that features waterfalls, a lazy river, Aqualand splash park, and oversized hot tubs – it is where you are sure to be when not at the beach. With multiple eateries and bars, including a pool & beachside, this place is a winner when it comes to location, activities, and amenities. This resort is super close to Pier Park, Shipwreck Island Waterpark, and St. Andrews Park (take the ferry for a pristine beach with amazing shelling!). They offer a slew of entertainment for the whole family, making it a one-stop shop. Anytime I can park my car and not move it the rest of the trip is a win in my book.