I consider myself very resourceful and one of my top resources are various Facebook groups! I am in a TON of Facebook groups and go to them often for tips and advice.
What is a Facebook group?
Facebook groups are online groups full of real people joined by a similar circumstance or interest. From Facebook groups, I am able to get tried and true product reviews, honest experiences or just chat with others with a shared interest.
Types of Facebook Groups
There are endless groups, but some of the most common types of groups I find are:
- Social – Facebook groups are a great way to interact with your social groups. They can help teams, clubs, committees, families, etc. stay connected and updated.
- Travel – Facebook groups are amazing for travel advice. There are FB groups for everything from small road trips to Disney planning to cruises to international adventures. You can get first-hand suggestions, shared itineraries, and ask endless questions from others who have visited or are planning to visit your destination.
- Parenting – I am in groups related to each stage of my parenting journey. During my pregnancies and infant stages, I relied heavily on due date groups, sleep training groups, and breastfeeding groups. Now, I am deep in groups related to toddler life and development.
- Mom connections– Using Facebook groups to connect with other local moms can be very useful. You can find Facebook groups to connect with other moms in your neighborhood, other moms at your child’s school, and more.
- Hobbies – Facebook groups are phenomenal for hobbies. You can learn new techniques, connect with others, and trade/sell equipment.
- Life – If you are dealing with anything personally and want to find a tribe of others dealing with the same, there is a Facebook group for you. These groups can help and be a source of comfort and solidarity during different seasons of life.
- Professional – There is a Facebook group for every niche! You can find groups related to your career or skillset. There are also groups that can help you as you pursue career goals like certifications and continuing education.
How to Find Facebook Groups
You are able to search for Facebook groups under groups. Most groups are public and accessible to anyone. There are a few private groups that may require you to be invited by a member or admin.
- Read the rules! Before joining a group, make sure you read the rules and make sure you are willing to abide by them. Rules vary greatly within different groups.
- Use the search! Unless you are joining a brand new group there is a strong possibility that the info you are looking for has been discussed before. Before starting a new discussion, use the search feature to search within the group.
- Silence notifications! If you are in many groups like me, you may want to silence the notifications for some groups so that they don’t cloud your feed.
- Try multiple! You may want to join various groups to find one that is the best fit for you.
- Start your own! If you can’t find a group that works for you, consider starting your own.