Life is busy. It is hard to make time for yourself. Friends and family were constantly telling me that I needed to take some time to myself away from the house. I struggled at the time because I was comfortable at home and always had some weird mom guilt when I left the house for “personal reasons.” But I then realized, in order to be the best mom I could be, I needed to take care of myself, too.
Cue – Reflexology.
A few years ago, my former boss invited me to go and get a reflexology massage. I assumed I was getting a regular massage, so I would need an appointment, right? Wrong. We walked in. There were 10 lounge chairs in a large room with 5 workers waiting by them. My boss stated we needed two “foot baths.” I was, of course, wondering “what is this?” They directed us to where we would be seated. I sat in the chair and leaned back. A lady came with a basket filled with warm water and had me remove my shoes and stick my feet in. OHHHHHH MY! That alone was more relaxing than I could ever imagine. The massage was unlike any other “spa” I had been to. This was pinpointing certain spots. It is unexplainable. For those that don’t know, reflexology is a type of therapy that uses gentle pressure on specific points along your feet, possibly hands, ears, and neck, to help you feel good. The theory is that it relieves stress and helps your body work much better.
Here I am now, I would say addicted. I try to go at least 1 time a week. It is for me. It is 1 hour of silence. 1 hour of peace. 1 hour of not doing chores. 1 hour of relieving stress. I leave feeling so refreshed each time. Sometimes I even fall asleep in the chair. If I snore, I always apologize to the masseuse or masseur. As I mentioned, I was skeptical; everyone knows there is a misconception about non-spa massage therapy locations. I can assure you, they do not end the way people think they do. They all actually have tons of signage across their establishment regarding their very strict clothing and massage rules.
In case you are unsure where to go, my go-to is Natural Therapy Spa on West Esplanade in Metairie by Robert’s Food Market. I have gone to many others across the Greater New Orleans area. I will add them here, along with prices (if known). Also, all of these are at least 4.5 stars out of 5 per Google/Yelp.
So before I start my recommendation, I must say it is important for you, the reader, to take an hour for yourself! It is good for your sanity, promise! Enjoy.
- Natural Therapy Spa – 5028 W Esplanade Ave -504-900-166 | 60-minute foot bath – $70; 60-minute foot and body combo – $70; 30-minute chair massage – $40. All foot and body massages include hot stone massages.
- Cici’s Massage – Located in Clearview Mall – 4436 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA 70006 – 504-931-1817
- Lake Serene Massage & Spa – 4503 Clearview Parkway – 504-510-9998
- Wellness Massage Spa – 2222 Magazine Street – 504-784-8899 | 30-minute foot bath – $42; 40-minute foot bath – $56; 60-minute full body – $75
- Enjoy Massage Therapy – 2701 Airline Dr. STE F – 504-266-2703
- Long Life Massage – 4861 Magazine Street – 504-309-1443
- Touchpoint Massage – 605 Toulouse Street – 504-252-4985
If you know of any others, please add them in the comments! Enjoy Momma, you deserve it!