We are all busy. We have so much going on in our lives, and while we all do what we can to help others, it often goes by the wayside. I understand. It happens all of us. But, we want to do better. We want to give and serve our city more than ever, and we want you to join us. We are dedicating the month of November to giving.
Every day, beginning November 1st, we challenge you (and ourselves) to give. Give of your time, talents, or possessions in order to help someone else or the community as a whole. No act is too small! While daily giving is the goal, we do not want you to be deterred if you miss some days. Just do your best. Think you can only commit to once a week giving? Then give once a week!
Share your deeds with us through social media. Tag us in your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram posts – not to boast on what we do, rather to share in this challenge together and to inspire and encourage one another.
Of course we want to put our efforts to those in need, but we can also just offer random acts of kindness to anyone around us!
Ideas for Giving Locally
Of course, whatever you are able to and comfortable with is what we suggest, but we’ve brainstormed a few ideas for ways you can give each day:
- Pay the toll for the person behind you
- Bring a meal to a new mother, or someone who just had surgery
- Send a cheerful card to a loved one, or an old friend
- Donate to your local food pantry
- Bring cookies to the fire station
- Tutor a child
- Volunteer at Children’s Hospital*
- Send a gift basket to your child’s teacher
- Share your special talent: can you cut hair, take photos, organize, etc. Find a friend or someone in need and offer your services!
Check out some of these local charities for more ways to give:
We hope you will all join us on our #NOLAGives mission. If you have any other suggestions on ways to give, please leave them below. Feel free to share this post on your social media outlets. Imagine what we can do for our city if we all participate!
*For more information on volunteering at Children’s Hospital, please call the Volunteer Services Dept. at 504-896-9486 after Thanksgiving, and let them know that New Orleans Moms Blog sent you.