Whether or not you watch Vanderpump Rules, whether or not you have heard of it before, I think it is safe to say everyone is hearing about it right now. Just in case: Vanderpump Rules follows Lisa Vanderpump (former Real Housewife of Beverly Hills) and the staff at her restaurants and bars; SUR Restaurant & Lounge, Pump Restaurant, and Tom Tom Restaurant & Bar, in West Hollywood, California, as they work on building their futures in show business and become entangled in interpersonal drama.
Recap of what is currently happening: Tom Sandoval and Ariana Maddix have been dating for 8+ years. One of Tom’s best friends, James Kennedy was engaged to Raquel Leviss (the dingy, gorgeous, beauty queen who did not seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed), but she broke off the engagement citing the couple had very different goals. Right after that, Tom’s other best friend Tom Schwartz and his wife Katie Maloney got a divorce after 12 years together and 4 years of marriage. There were rumors that Raquel and Schwartz were having a romantic relationship and then BAM! Word came out a few days ago that for 7 MONTHS, Tom Sandoval was cheating on Ariana with Raquel. My mind, along with the rest of the world, is BLOWN.
If you follow this show, you know that they have had their fair share of drama and love triangles, but no one predicted this like so many of the other situations that presented themselves on the show. Whether you think this show is real, fake, scripted, or raw – it does not matter. This is huge!
Given the drama and history, I thought I would share the RULES OF FRIENDSHIP, as learned in Vanderpump Rules, in case people have forgotten.
- Do not cheat on your spouse with his/her best friend.
- Do not cheat on your spouse with your best friend’s spouse.
- Do not cheat on your spouse with anyone in the friend group.
- Do not cheat on your spouse. End of story. Period.
- You can forgive but it is hard to forget some things.
- Be open and honest in order to prevent resentment.
- “It’s my birthday! What I say goes!” Just because it is your birthday, it does not mean you can literally do WHATEVER you want. Yes, it is about you and your special day, but do not go overboard.
- Take yearly trips together if you like each other.
- You can be civil with an ex after a breakup, but it is nearly impossible to remain friends, even close friends. Prove me wrong.
- “You’re not important enough to hate.” – You should not hate the mistress – unless you are friends. You should be mad at and direct your anger at your spouse. In this case, Ariana should hate the spouse and the mistress.
“I see everyone here has not been working on their summer bodies.” Body shaming is never okay. Get rid of friends that do that. Immediately.
“I’m not sure what I’ve done to you, but I’ll take a Pinot Grigio.” Try to avoid going to a former friend’s place of business especially if they are your server.
- “I would smile right now, but the Botox is just not letting me.” Don’t assume everyone is angry or shocked. Ask them how they are feeling and let them verbally explain.
The theme song from the show, “Raise Your Glass” by Dena Deadly, is a good ending to this article:
“We are young and we are free, only thing that we need, is a moment to be a little wrong, we were born to ignite, burn a hole in the sky, you and I will be forever young. You know that it’s our time, these are the best days of our lives, just raise your glasses high. This one’s for you tonight.”