We are searching for a new neighborhood in New Orleans! Our family has expanded since our DINK days, and we are in need of more space. This may or may not be forever for us, so I’m spending lots of time researching and planning.
So much to consider:
- Proximity? Distance to and from home to work/school is a big consideration because any additional time cuts into our already full and hectic schedules.
- School district? Schools are of course a major factor for any parent. This really only applies to the areas we are considering outside of New Orleans. The variety of quality public school options in the surrounding metro areas without the chaos of the OneApp is certainly appealing, but also is less concerning if we go the private or parochial school route.
- Diversity? Diversity is huge for me. I value my kids being exposed to a variety of people and experiences. I don’t want our family to be the only family of color in the neighborhood.
- Space? I don’t know if our family is complete, and we are already out of space with our two little ones. We also just have a ton of stuff! I have hobbies that require a lot of supplies and space, and we enjoy everyone being able to comfortably space out at home.
- Cost? Number one factor of course. Aside from the cost of the home itself, there are so many other costs to consider like utilities, maintenance, HOAs, flood zones, etc.
- Child friendly? Are there other kids in the neighborhood? I grew up with friends who lived in close proximity to our house and would love the same for my kids.
- DIY or not? Do we want a stress-free, move-in ready home that may not fit our wants completely? Do we consider a renovation or flip that may mean being under construction for a while? Do we build from the ground up and accept that our moving date may be further away?
- Distance to family? We are blessed to have ample family near us. Distance from them is important because we rely on them heavily for breaks, babysitting, playdates, etc.
- To Northshore or not to Northshore? As everyone knows, the cost of real estate has skyrocketed in New Orleans, so we are open to outside of the city limits. This is a tough one for a born and raised New Orleans Mom!
So much to think about. But as we outgrow our situation more and more each day, a move is heavy on my mind. So help me out. Where do you live? How did you decide on your family’s neighborhood?