The Day My Baby Fell Off the Changing Table

Throughout the course of my mommy career, I’ve changed numerous diapers. I am on my 3rd baby and I have 5 nieces and nephews. I currently change my baby’s diaper multiple times a day.

So when the dreaded accident happened; I couldn’t believe it.

My baby fell off the changing table.

I was standing at the changing table and shifted by body for one second to get a bag to put his dirty diaper in, and I heard the awful ear piercing scream.

My baby fell off the changing table.

I flew to the ground where my 15 month old was and scooped up my baby. His cries were now accompanied by my cries, and I felt clueless as to what to do as my husband was currently a thousand miles away in Ohio and my 2 other children were in the den.

My first instinct was to go next door to my neighbors house for help. So I ran over in the rain and banged on her door for help. She helped reassure me my baby was breathing and his pupils were okay. She was a complete lifesaver. She helped soothe my fears and after my baby and I caught our breath, we headed back next door.

I then comforted my other two children and called on our call pediatrician. Per her recommendation, we headed to the emergency room. Since the hubs was out of town, my mom and sister were able to come over and watch my kids while the baby and I headed to the ER where my dad would meet us. Thank goodness we live close to family!

The drive to Children’s Hospital felt like it took forever. It was nighttime so he was naturally tired, but I knew not to let him fall asleep if I could help it because of the fall. So what’s a NOLA gal to do during Mardi Gras season than to turn on typical New Orleans Mardi Gras jams on Pandora? That can keep just about anyone awake and shake their tail feather; am I right? Well it did the trick. He stayed awake, and we made it to the waiting room.

The waiting room gave me a second to catch my breath. I just couldn’t believe this happened. How did it happen? I was right there! How did he fall off? I moved my eyes for a second! I felt awful. Is my baby going to be okay? Is his back okay? I was flooded with every emotion imaginable. The guilt was terrible.

After meeting with the doctor, we were told we had to stay in the hospital for a couple of hours for observation. Thankfully, Luke was acting 100% normal. So there we sat, sitting and playing. Luke ate copious amounts of snacks and was excited to have juice. My dad and I had the vending machine finest snacks as we spent time with Luke.

Hours passed by, and we were then discharged. We were told the warning signs to look for and were thankfully sent home very late at night. While I still can’t believe this happened, I now surely believe people when they say they have no idea how accidents happen!

Mary Olivio
Mary is a caffeine addicted boy mom to Noah, Liam and Luke. This “stay at home” mom can typically been found cruising in her minivan, jamming to Beyonce with a Starbucks in hand on her way to carpool or after school activities. Mary has been married to her high school sweetheart since 2007. She is a founder of Delivering Hope NOLA and the Vanessa Wolff Scholarship Fund at her Alma Mater. Mary is passionate in the local preemie community and has been heavily involved with the March of Dimes since her sons Liam and Luke were born premature.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here