For as long as I can recall, my mom has always fixed her highly anticipated macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving and Christmas day. My mom, a health conscious woman, throws caution to the wind two days out of the year. And her very picky-eater, ahem: ME, was forever grateful. I mean, what kid does not love macaroni and cheese?! Well, my kids, but that is a whole other post for another day. Anyway, this mac and cheese is talked about year round because my mom only makes it for the holidays. It is delicious on the day it is prepared and I can now attest that it is equally perfect served cold. Enjoy!
The Best Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 bags/boxes shell macaroni
- 1 quart half-and-half
- large block Velveeta cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 white onion, pureed
- 8 oz sour cream
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- salt and white pepper to taste
1. Boil macaroni, drain, set aside to cool in large oven safe bowl/dish
2. Place half-and-half in pot and set on low heat
3. Add 1/2 stick butter and Velveeta and stir periodically
4. Grate onion on finest part of grater to a liquid (there should be no chunks)
5. Add onion and minced garlic to cheese mix
6. When cheese and butter is melted, stir in sour cream
7. Add salt and white pepper to taste to the melted cheese mix
8. Pour cheese mixture over the noodles and sprinkle shredded cheese on top
9. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees
How big of a pan do you use? Lasagna casserole? Love your recipes – they are amazing.
Hey Deidre! I am the author of this post and I use a deep oven-safe bowl to bake the mac and cheese usually but I have used an aluminum baking pan and that works well too!