This recipe is a family favorite. It is unbelievably flavorful and can be made in minutes. While we certainly love to serve it over freshly made pasta from the refrigerated section of the grocery, we agree that the dietitian recommendation to serve it with whole grain pasta is a healthier option. We are also excited to add extra veggies, as recommended, the next time we make this dish. I think adding mushrooms or red bell peppers would really add a lot of flavor, texture, and color to the dish. We are also considering serving without the pasta as a side dish to wood plank grilled fish. Yum!
Gemelli with Broccoli Rabe, Bacon, and Chickpeas (Original Recipe)
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 8 ounces uncooked whole grain pasta
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
If You’re Shopping at Langenstein’s…
A Touro Dietitian’s Perspective
I would add more veggies (red peppers and spinach would be delicious) and use whole wheat pasta to add in more fiber. I would also suggest this be a side item served with a lean meat such as chicken or fish.