So the back to school fuss is over. Thank goodness. The uniforms are bought, the folders are labeled and the first day tears are behind us. It is now time for the routine and schedule to hit their stride and school year normalcy to return. With the school year comes the extracurricular activities. Many NOMB moms will be clocking hours at the football field, soccer field and dance studio. It is only the beginning as our little ones kickoff their dreams of being in the Super Bowl, the Olympics and the ballet.
I personally am excited about it. That means that I will have a new season of mommy time. Each Thursday I will have an hour to myself to read while my tiny dancer taps her heart out. Win for both of us!
So now that her back to school shopping list is complete I am starting on my mommy back to school books. And when I say books, I mean the old school kind with paper that you get from the store. While yes, I do have an iPad, each time I pull it out to read on the Kindle app is the exact same time that my daughter claims that she NEEDS the iPad. So I skip the fight and just buy paper so we don’t have to go there and burst my bubble of sneaking in some reading time.
I personally like uber girly books that are on the more chick-flick kinda side of romance than the hard-core romance novel. I love a good beach read! I tend to find a writer and read their collection of books before moving on to another.
My most recent favorites include:
- The How to Knit a Wild Bikini series by Christy Ridgeway. This is a collection of three books in which the story continues to build on the characters.
- Hot Wheels and High Heels, and Tall Tales and Wedding Veils are a two part series by Jane Graves.
- If you like Sophie Kinsella then check out I’ve Got Your Number and Twenties Girl.
- I am stuck on Mary Kay Andrews at the moment. All of them have been great so far but my two favorites are The Hissy Fit and The Fixer Upper.
So if you want something other than Good Night NOLA or the latest parenting book to read we have some options for you. Here are some books that our team has been reading in case you are looking for something a little less girly or with some depth. Grab a book or the Kindle, a glass of wine and carve out some mommy time. You know you deserve it!
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
- Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall
- A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
- The Sweet Potato Queens’ First Big Ass Novel by Jill Conner Browne
- The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch,
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald