As I shared last year, one of my absolute favorite New Orleans holiday traditions is going to Celebration in the Oaks because I have so many fond memories of attending with my grandmother. It’s crazy to now take my own children to the very same celebration that I frequented 25+ years ago. Based on the popularity of last year’s giveaway, we know that this event is a favorite for many families in the New Orleans area, and we are excited to share this year’s details with you and, of course, another giveaway!
While New Orleans Moms Blog contributors received complimentary tickets to attend Celebration in the Oaks, all of us would have gladly paid and planned to attend anyway!
Behind the Scenes at Celebration in the Oaks
As you can imagine, Celebration in the Oaks is a massive undertaking. In fact, preparations take a full 6 months, so when we’re busy sweating the New Orleans summer away, City Park is already gearing up for the holiday season. A few fun facts…
- There are over 658,000 LED bulbs used throughout the park
- The “dripping snow tree” has 42,000 LED bulbs alone. The lights were also purchased in Paris, can be seen from 1/2 mile away and provide the most popular engagement spot at this annual event!
- There are 500 poinsettias throughout the magical event
- All of the designs and exhibits are designed and constructed “in house” by event staff
- Guests from 48 states attended Celebration in the Oaks last year
- If you’re lucky, you might just see a celebrity. Last year’s sightings included Drew Brees, Jennifer Garner, Marcia Gay Harden and Joe LaFont (of “Swamp People”)
Get a Sneak Peek at the Children’s Preview Party!
If you want to check it out with your little ones ahead of time and avoid the crowds, City Park also offers a Children’s Preview Party on Sunday, November 24 from 5:00 – 8:00pm. For $30 a person (children under 2 are free; members of City Park pay $25), there is unlimited food, unlimited amusement rides (including the train and carousel) and lots of fun activities. Or, if you want a fun date night in November, consider the Adult Preview Party (21 and older only) which features an open bar, food from 50 restaurants and entertainment.
2013 Celebration in the Oaks at City Park
When: Friday, November 29 – Saturday, January 4 (closed on December 24 and December 31)
Admission: $8/person (children under 3 are free, as are Friends of City Park members); note that some activities, like the train, require additional tickets once you are inside
Why: Get in the holiday spirit and enjoy lots of fun for the entire family, including amusement park rides
While the New Orleans Moms Blog team received admission tickets to Celebration in the Oaks, all opinions expressed here are my own; I have loved Celebration in the Oaks since I was a little girl and can’t wait to go again this year!