As many of you may know by now, the New Orleans Moms Blog is hosting an Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, March 2 to benefit the March of Dimes. We are so excited for this fun event and chance to connect with other moms and children in the community. We want to share with you a few details about the event itself, as well as a compelling story from a local New Orleans family about why you should support this important cause.
New Orleans Moms Blog Easter Egg Hunt
The New Orleans Moms Blog invites you to join us for our first (hopefully annual) Easter Egg Hunt in uptown New Orleans. The March of Dimes is a cause near and dear to our team, and we thought what better way to connect local moms and children than by holding a fundraiser with family fun? For just $5/child (adults are free), come join us for the following:
- As children arrive at the Easter Egg Hunt, they will be greeted by Creative Sitters and invited to participate in Easter crafts, including making Easter “baskets.”
- We are so thankful that Peter Rabbit Organics is sending pouches for the children to enjoy and that Winn-Dixie will be on site with finger sandwiches, fruit, sweet treats and water for everyone.
- There will be two egg hunt areas: one for the smallest children (2 and under) and one for the bigger kids (3 and up). There will be plenty of eggs to collect, some of which will have tickets to redeem for fun prizes. Thank you the the generosity of Louisiana-based Elmer chocolate and Let’s pARTy NOLA for providing chocolate eggs and Easter themed coloring books as some of the available prizes.
- Within each egg hunt area, two egg hunts will take place, the first of which will begin approximately at 10:45am. In one area, the crawlers and non-walkers will go first, while over in the bigger kid area the 3 and 4 year olds will have their fun. After about 10-15 minutes, the NOMB team will add more eggs to the area and the second group of children will be invited to join.
- As the second wave of children start their hunt, the crawlers and non-walkers, as well as the 3 and 4 year olds, will be invited to choose their prizes. When the second hunt is over, those children will then be able to select prizes with tickets as well.
- Easter basket giveaways: Around 11:30 or 11:45am, we will draw the winners of the Easter basket giveaways, one for a boy and one for a girl. Winners must be present to win. Each will have the following items: gift certificate for an applique shirt of choice from Lisey Lu, gift certificate for a one piece or tee of choice from Nolafionnah, pestamel from Loomed NOLA, $30 gift card from Reginelli’s, gift certificate for a box of toys in the desired age from Little Pnuts, a dozen Easter themed cookies from Essie’s Sparkling Confections, walk in play pass from Palm Tree Playground, a copy of Fleurdelicious, 2 hours of creative sitting services from Creative Sitters, Yeaux Yeaux bow (girls only), gift certificate for a book of choosing from I See Me!, art project and wooden Easter sign from Let’s pARTy NOLA, guest passes to The Louisiana Children’s Discovery Center in Hammond, and maybe more… (This list was current as of Friday, February 22)
- Grand prize for children: One lucky little one will win a Guidecraft housekeeping stand (valued at $50) from LeJouet. Winner must be present to win and will be responsible for picking it up from the store.
- Grand prizes for mom: Two lucky moms will also have the chance to win prizes (more details about how to enter will be available at the event). The Woodhouse Day Spa has donated a spa package worth $195, and Bra Genie is giving away a $50 gift card. Ohh la la!
- All children will leave with a party favor from Essie’s Sparkling Confections (with parents’ permission, of course!) and Elizabeth from Little Fish Photography and Christie from Christie Froom Photography will be on hand to capture the fun with their cameras!
The Roubion Twins: the type of family you’re helping
Today, I’m the lucky mom of three children, twin boys who are turning 4 this summer and an 8 month old baby girl. Nothing is more fun (or more exhausting) than the chaos of my daily life. Like every mom, I’m so thankful for the good health and happiness of my children, but I feel especially grateful because my now normal and happy twins started their lives in the Touro NICU.
Like most expecting moms, when I found out that I was pregnant I was thrilled and then I began planning, reading and preparing for the big day. My husband Dennis and I read all the books, went to classes, prepared the nursery and felt as ready as you can when you’re expecting your first child. Despite my planning, life intervened with a few surprises.
Surprise #1: I found out I was pregnant with twins!
Surprise #2: My water broke at 29 and ½ weeks and I was admitted to the hospital. After 10 days in the hospital, Holden and Reily were born on June 22, 2009 at 3.3 and 3.11 pounds.
The babies spent the next 5.5 weeks in the Touro NICU gaining weight, and we practically lived at the hospital, too. The most important and happiest day of our lives also became the most stressful. We knew our babies had great doctors and nurses caring for them, but the feeling of being helpless and scared was difficult to deal with. In our friends, family and other parents we met in the NICU, we developed a support system during those long weeks that helped us get through it.
The premature birth of my twins has made me appreciate the important work of the March of Dimes in providing programs in our community that help moms have healthy, full-term pregnancies.
Locally, the March of Dimes has mobile health centers that provide prenatal and well baby care to women and infants; a NICU Family Support program that provides NICU family support and a Parent Care Kit distributed to every NICU family and customized programs to serve the needs of NICU patients.
In addition to attending the Easter Egg Hunt, I hope you’ll join me in supporting the March of Dimes at the upcoming March for Babies on April 20 in LaSalle Park at 9:00 a.m. Registration is free and available online.
Thank you for giving a run down on how the event will take place. I am excited to attend and now the level of joy has risen. i cant wait to attend with my 22 month old. This sounds amazing!!!!
Posted before I could finish….and for such a great cause!