In recent years the use of coconut oil has become increasingly popular. This oil is gaining worldwide recognition for being a “super” oil that contains anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Up until a few months ago, I had no idea how beneficial or even all the ways I could use this incredible oil. After seeing many pins on Pinterest about the health benefits and hundreds of ways to use coconut oil, I decided to purchase some and see what all the fuss was about. Well let me tell you, I was blown away with the variety of ways and simple ideas of how easily you can incorporate this oil into your everyday life.
Coconut Oil for Baby
If you are looking for some natural remedies that are safe for baby, coconut oil is a great place to start. Coconut oil is a chemical-free alternative that can replace many store bought baby products.
- To get rid of diaper rash or yeast infection rashes, simply rub the oil directly to the affected area.
- To treat yeast that causes thrush and Candida, coconut oil can be taken both internally and applied topically by simply dabbing a little oil inside the baby’s mouth and by applying to mom’s nipples before breastfeeding.
- Likewise, if you have cracked or sore nipples from breastfeeding, apply coconut oil instead of lanolin for relief.
- To get rid of cradle cap, gently massage on the scalp, leave on for about 20 minutes and rinse with a warm wash cloth.
- You can also use coconut oil as a lotion or add a few tablespoons to bathwater to help moisturize baby’s skin or to relieve dry patches.
These are just a few of my favorite things, by no means a complete list.
Coconut Oil for Beauty
Looking for some quick and easy beauty tips when it comes to using coconut oil? You would be surprised how many ways you can incorporate this into your daily routine, not to mention the hubby will be pleased at how much money you can save by replacing some of your everyday beauty products.
- Apply coconut oil to a cotton puff and gently wipe eyes to remove makeup.
- Dab a little on your lips for a delicious smelling and tasting natural chap stick.
- To help get rid of frizzy hair (especially with our humid Louisiana weather) rub a dime sized amount on the palms of your hands and through your hair.
- For smooth and silky legs, apply coconut oil before shaving.
- For a great smoothing body scrub use equal parts coconut oil and sugar in the shower to leave your body feeling soft and luxurious.
- You can use it as a deep conditioner, facial wash, or even as body message oil.
I could go on and on, the list of possibilities is endless.
Moving on to the kitchen, this oil has many uses.
- On the rare occasions I drink coffee, I add it as a healthy alternative to creamer.
- I used it to season all my cast iron skillets.
- It is great to cook with and has a high smoke point.
- You can use for any stir fry recipe, to bake with and as a substitute for butter.
- Sometimes I add it to my smoothies and protein shakes.
- One of my favorite recipes is coconut oil roasted sweet potatoes that you simply bake in the oven for 10 minutes on 425 degrees after cutting the sweet potatoes into wedges and coating them in coconut oil and seasoning with sea salt and pepper.
- We use it to make homemade popcorn; all you need is coconut oil, popcorn kernels and sea salt.
There are tons of recipes that you can find using this incredibly tasty and healthy oil. I encourage you to experiment and feel very confident you too will be pleasantly surprised!
I’m glad my curiosity got the best of me regarding coconut oil. Incorporating this oil into natural remedies, daily beauty regimens, and cooking for my family have given us many health benefits and helped saved us money. I can’t wait to do more research to see what else I can do with this wonderful oil because I know this is just the tip of the iceberg.