Mornings are hectic. I only have one child (2 year old boy), and it’s a mad dash to get out the door every day. Between trying to get him to finish breakfast, brush his teeth and get dressed, it would be easy to just put on a pair of yoga pants, throw my hair in a ponytail and call it a day. I certainly don’t have time to spend hours getting ready when I can’t even use the bathroom alone (often times he is literally sitting on my lap while I use the toilet).
Love at first blush
While I’m no makeup artist, my love for makeup began at a young age. I would get so excited when my mom’s Mary Kay supplies would arrive (she still sells it to this day), and she let me help unpack it. I confess: I also used the packing peanuts as ‘bubble bath’ for my Barbies. I loved seeing all the new products and watching my mom apply her makeup every day. Looking back, she never left the house without a fresh face of makeup. That’s probably where I get it from. Since having Jude, I had to cut my morning routine in half. I’ve learned the fastest way to wash and style my hair (that’s partly why I keep it short), de-wrinkle my clothes and make a healthy breakfast on-the-go. Cutting back on my makeup routine was tougher. I have so many different products that I can get carried away playing with them all. After some trial and error, I can now get it done in about 5 minutes and fake a full night’s rest.
As moms, we become so focused on everyone else. You deserve more, ladies! Take a few minutes for yourself today.
My daily 5 minute makeup routine:
I know I look an angry, hot mess in the before photo. I rarely leave the house without makeup, much less take a photo and post it online. However, I felt it necessary to show what 5 minutes can do for you. To get started, a distraction for little ones is a must. I make sure Jude is armed with cars, trains and more to keep him occupied.
- I start by priming my eye area with Benefit Stay Don’t Stray. I chose this one because you can prime your lid and under eye, ensuring both shadows and concealer stay put.
- For eye shadow, I like cream ones because they go on easy with no fall out. In these photos I used Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal Eyeshadow in Inked in Pink.
- If I have an extra minute, I’ll add a highlight color under my brow and in the inner corner of the lid with MAC All that Glitters or Lorac Undercover from the Unzipped palette (any nude or highlighting shadow would work here).
- To brighten my eyes and look less tired than I really am, I use Benefit Eye Bright. This pink pencil goes in the inner corner of the eyes and completely helps me look awake. Let’s face it, what mom doesn’t need that?
- For under the eye, I use Benefit Erase Paste or Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles + Concealer. <Revision 2014: I also use Laura Mercier Secret Concealer>
- After beefing up my eyebrows (an important step to really finish off your face, especially if you wear glasses) with a Mary Kay Brow Definer Pencil (use a shade lighter than your natural hair color so it looks natural), I finish off with two coats of Maybelline Volum’Express The Rocket Mascara in very black and line the eyes with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On pencil in perversion or Mary Kay Eyeliner in black. <Revision 2014: I also like Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Mascara and Anastasia Brow Wiz)
- On my face I use Smashbox BB Cream in Light/Medium. BB Creams are super multitaskers: they treat, hydrate, prime, protect, and camouflage the skin. They are great for all skin types and are especially helpful in our summer heat. <Revision 2014: I often use Rodan and Fields Mineral Peptides>
- For my cheeks, I adore my Benefit Posietint cheek and lip stain. This stuff won’t budge and looks natural. When using a stain, take care to blend it quickly as soon as you place it on the skin. Once it dries, I bronze my cheeks with Mary Kay Mineral Bronzing Powder or Too Faced Chocolate Soleil. I prefer matte bronzers over shimmer bronzer because sometimes shimmer can look dirty. <Revision 2014: I really like Josie Maran Argan Color Stick in Rosy>
- Finally, if it’s a particularly humid day, I set my makeup with Mary Kay Sheer Mineral Pressed Powder and Mary Kay Finishing Spray.