Disclosure :: This is a sponsored post brought to you by Unfolded, a distributor of Annie Sloan products. As always, our team has tried these paints and is unanimously thrilled with both the unlimited options available and their ease of use. If you are into upcycling or just want to transform some tired furniture, we think this post will help get your started.
Ready to Transform Outdated Furniture?
Spring is rapidly approaching, and with it comes the restlessness for change. Whether it’s a small project, organizing and tidying up the house, or replanting your garden, spring is the perfect time to spruce up your space and give it the fresh makeover it deserves. For Jane, studio trainer at New Orleans-based company, UNFOLDED, the North American distributor for Annie Sloan, this meant transforming a dated side table into a contemporary standout. The piece, which she found at a thrift store, had great, mid-century lines, but needed a fresh look to contemporize the dated varnish. Jane decided on Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan in Graphite, a dark slate color, finishing the piece with Annie Sloan’s Clear Soft Wax. Jane then completed the table with Annie Sloan Gold Size and gold leaf, giving the piece a much-needed contrast and playing up its great lines and details.
Now, we know what you’re thinking. Painting furniture? Sanding? Stripping? Priming? And finally, getting to the painting itself? Sounds like a lot of work and time for moms with busy schedules. Using Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan, however, has helped Jane eliminate the first few steps of furniture painting, as Annie Sloan’s signature paint allows its users to paint over almost any surface without prior priming and sanding. Not only does this cut the length of a project in half, it also makes the paint incredibly user-friendly and results achievable. Read more about how to create a contemporary finish with Annie Sloan, including how to recreate the gold leaf detailing.
- Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Graphite
- Annie Sloan Soft Clear Wax
- Annie Sloan Pure Bristle Brush
- Annie Sloan Wax Brush
- Annie Sloan Gold Size
- Gold Leaf
- Small Artists Brush
- Painter’s Tape
- A Clean Absorbent Cloth
Step by Step Instructions
- Jane began her piece by wiping down the table with furniture cleaner and a cloth, removing any leftover dirt and grime.
- Jane then began painting the piece with her Annie Sloan Pure Bristle Brush and Chalk Paint® in Graphite. In order to fully cover the piece’s existing varnish, Jane used 2 coats of Graphite, letting the paint fully dry in between coats (a process that takes about 30 minutes).
- Once the table was fully painted and dry, Jane taped off the detailing on the drawers of the table, and used a small artist’s brush to paint a thin coat of Annie Sloan gold size in the area she wished to lay her leaf. Be sure to cover all areas where gold leaf is to be applied!
- Once the size was tacky, about 5-10 minutes later, Jane applied her sheets of gold leaf. She laid it out gently and smoothed it with a dry paintbrush. Gold leaf is very delicate, and tends to come off easily in flakes, so be sure to handle with care and reapply any fallen flakes to new areas.
- After applying the gold leaf, Jane used her Wax Brush to apply a thin coat of Clear Soft Wax on the entire piece, gently spreading the wax so that it absorbs into the paint. Working in sections, Jane then removed the excess wax with a clean absorbent cloth.
With Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan, the possibilities are truly endless. From painting outdoor furniture to cabinetry and even fabric, Chalk Paint® can create a DIY star out of anyone. And, luckily for NOLA Moms, Chalk Paint® is available at four convenient locations in the Greater New Orleans area. To find your nearest Chalk Paint® stockist, please visit UNFOLDED’s website.
We’d love to hear about your experiences with Chalk Paint® and see your DIY projects!
NEW ORLEANS STOCKISTS:
Creative Finishes & Furnishings
2047 Metairie Road
Metairie, Louisiana 70005
LD Linens & Decor
3823 Magazine Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
7911 Maple Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
NOLA Gifts & Decor
5101 West Esplanade Avenue
Metairie, Louisiana 70471
Melange by KP
5200 Highway 22
Mandeville, Louisiana 70471
Welcome Home & Garden
214 Lee Lane
Covington, Louisiana 70433
Would you like to win an Annie Sloan starter kit (valued at +$200)? Enter the sponsored giveaway below for your chance to win!
Annie Sloan Giveaway
Jamie is the Digital Marketing Coordinator at Annie Sloan UNFOLDED. Born and raised in New Orleans, she attended Academy of the Sacred Heart and Tulane University, graduating with a degree in both English and Classical Studies. When she’s not writing for The Palette, UNFOLDED’s blog, Jamie enjoys going to shows and eating her way through New Orleans. Jamie’s sister, Jessica, is an Annie Sloan stockist on Metairie Road, and they spend time together in her studio, painting and designing new pieces.